Celebrating 20 years with a campaign giveaway!
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who entered our $20K 2020 campaign giveaway. Missed the deadline, but have an amazing book you would like to promote? Contact us here or apply for other pro bono opportunities available year-round here.
Our very best of luck to you with your book and career as an author!
–Books Forward team
As we turned 20 in January 2020, we announced our biggest giveaway ever – one full-service, customized author publicity and book marketing campaign valued at $20,000. We’re looking to celebrate a meaningful, relevant perspective that advances a socially-significant issue.
At Books Forward, we’re always seeking to elevate new books and promote diverse, barrier-breaking voices in publishing. This year, we’re helping an author who has a fresh perspective and a great book get the attention they deserve with a free, top-tier publicity campaign. Sign up below to launch your book like a lead title!
The giveaway is open to both traditionally- and independently-published authors, fiction or nonfiction. You must have a targeted publication date between May–December 2021.
Learn more about what you can win, our selection criteria, and how to enter below!
Deadline to enter: October 1, 2020
What You Could Win
The winning submission will receive a personalized, full-service publicity campaign, specifically designed to fit the author’s message, platform and genre. While campaign specifics will be tailored to the winning author, the campaign will include:
A customized press package
including a news release, author Q&A and interview talking points
Personalized pitching and promotional outreach
to a targeted list of national media, regional media, reviewers and online influencers
$1,000-worth of digital advertising and/or review submission to industry publications,
positioning you directly in front of consumers and industry influencers
One-on-one consultation with Books Forward’s social media specialist,
with customized guidance for maximizing online exposure and engagement
Creative promotion to indie booksellers and librarians
to get your book into the hands of the tastemakers who will make a difference
Books Forward’s Author Guide
an easy-to-use roadmap of the publicity process that clearly breaks down the tips, tasks and trade secrets to give your book its best chance at success
to help you make the most of book events and mobilize your networks for promotion
We are looking for an author who has:
- A meaningful message that contributes to a timely, relevant conversation within our culture. No matter your focus–women’s perspectives, racial equality / representation, climate change, the nature of grief, the future of technology, little-known histories–tell us how your work (fiction or nonfiction) engages and advances a socially-significant issue.
- A fresh perspective. Whether you’re a debut author with a distinct literary style, or you self-identify as part of a marginalized group/community historically underrepresented in publishing (here’s a good explanation).
- Passion and drive–but few resources for a traditional publicity campaign. Good publicity often comes with a hefty price tag that is out of reach for some authors. This giveaway is designed specifically for those who do not have the resources for a publicity campaign, to provide a new opportunity to give the book its best chance for success.
- An engaging, well-written book. We love a great read, and we can’t wait to see yours!
- Your manuscript must be complete, professionally edited, with plans for publication in place prior to submission. Incomplete or unedited manuscripts, or those that do not meet an industry standard of quality for publication, will not be considered.*
- Your book must be previously unpublished.
- You must have a planned publication date between May and December 2021. A full-service publicity campaign requires six months of preparation.
- You must enter the giveaway by 11:59 pm CDT October 1, 2020. Submissions received after this deadline will not be accepted.
*Need help choosing an experienced book editor or professional cover designer? Our sister company Books Fluent can connect you with skilled experts in your genre (and let them know that you’ve entered our giveaway to receive 10% off services).
Don’t meet this criteria? Don’t worry! You might not be eligible for this specific giveaway, but we have tons of options that could be right for you. Check out our services, tell us your goals, and get a customized publicity campaign tailored just for you.
How to Apply
Fill out the application form below and share with us:
- How you and your manuscript are breaking barriers
- Your pub date (note that your book must be launching between May and December 2021)
- A copy of your manuscript (watermarks are acceptable, but the page must be legible)
- Your cover image if available (watermarks are acceptable; image must be legible)
Who We Are
Books Forward is an author publicity and book marketing firm committed to promoting voices from a diverse variety of communities. From book reviews and author events, to social media and digital marketing, we help authors find success and connect with readers.
Interested in what’s possible for your book sales and building readership? Check out some of our successful book publicity campaign stories.