Summer is fast approaching, and the warm weather has me wishing I permanently lived on a beach with a book in my hand. This list of summer reading recommendations from some of our favorite BookTokers is perfect to kickstart your summer reading list, so get ready!
- Nicole (@nicoleandbooks) starts our list off with: “A YA book I recently read called Melt My Heart by Bethany Rutter! This book is a perfect summer read as it takes place the summer before university, with the holidays vibes of the seaside, ice cream, friendship and romance! While being funny and cute it also has a great message of body positivity, loving yourself and figuring out who you actually love! Great fat rep and bisexual rep!
- Victoria (@thebasicbookworm) says: “My pick is my all-time favorite romance The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang. This story follows Stella as she navigates dating, while also being on the autism spectrum. This book has the most lovable characters, a steamy romance, and great neurodiversity representation. Helen Hoang will make you cry, laugh, and swoon all at the same time, so The Kiss Quotient should be at the top of your TBR this summer!”
- Faith (@yabooktok) recommends: “Legendborn by Tracy Deonn! Legendborn is an own-voices YA fantasy based on Arthurian legends, with a hint of dark academia. I read this book last summer and it was phenomenal! It has mystery, magic, and it also explores important themes such as grief and racism, by highlighting many of the struggles faced by people of colour. It also features an amazing and diverse cast of characters, led by the badass Bree, who is very strong-willed and feels her emotions deeply. Plus, the love interests in this book, golden boy Nick, along with dark and mysterious Sel, are to die for! This is one of my favourite books of all time and I think you’ll love it too!”
- Fatima (@wanderbooks) highly recommends: “The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon: “It’s a captivating, witty adult historical fiction with memorable characters and a WILD, mystery plotline that will have you on the edge of your seat. If you’re looking for a beautiful, melancholy ‘story within a story’ filled with drama, mystery and romance & just gorgeous, evocative writing all-round, try it out!!”
- Anny (@messermoony) says the perfect summer read is: “Heartstopper by Alice Oseman. It is an easy quick read and will immediately fill you with joy. It’s perfect to read out in the sun when you want a quick break and a comforting book. With Netflix adapting the books for screen soon, now is the perfect time to pick them up!”
- Lexi (@lexislibrary) says: “An awesome summer read is Sophie Gonzales’ newest novel Perfect on Paper. It’s a heartwarming Young Adult Contemporary packed full of lovable LGBTQ+ characters, witty banter, and adorable romance. It will make you laugh, it will make you smile, and it’s the “perfect” book to pick up this summer. Thank you so much for reaching out to me.”
- Erin (@erinreads) recommends a favorite series called: “The Mirror Visitor quartet, which was originally written in French! It takes place in a fantasy universe and follows the main character, Ophelia, who has the power to read objects’ histories by touching them and can travel through mirrors. She has to leave her family to be with her fiance, Thorne, who she was arranged to marry, and is faced with several dangers as a result. The magical plot is incredibly captivating, and the slow-burn romance between Thorne and Ophelia made my heart melt.”
- And lastly, as if the above recommendations weren’t enough, my recommendation is Summer Club by Katherine Dean Mazerov. The title hints that this novel is perfect for summer reading, and the story lives up to it. This hysterical, relaxed read has an ideal amount of excitement that keeps you constantly intrigued in the swim and tennis club antics at Meadow Glen. But apparently, dealing with club high jinks wasn’t enough for club president, Lydia. She also has to deal with a car following the club manager, a break-in at her home, and wait… a body in the river? Luckily as a former journalist, she’s perfect for the job!